Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My thoughts on: Adjusting to full time work



Before starting work in Laos, the last time I worked full time was in October 2011. That’s a really long time ago! Back in the pre-Bea days.

I took a year of maternity leave and then went back to work, essentially, 2 days per week. Or should I say 2 shifts per week. My return to work was to shift work which had its pros and cons. Essentially I think it maximized the time I had with Bea because I often worked while she was asleep. The downside was that I was chronically tired. Shift work can be a beast, and getting home from work at 2am and desperately trying to “wind down”, knowing that you are on mum duty from about 6am is not easy.  Trying to entertain that toddler at 4pm while waiting for assistance on only 3 hours of sleep is almost impossible.

Full time work seemed colossal.  I was nervous about how I would go. I’m pleased to let you know that so far so good.

We are both coping well and it brings a smile to my face to see Bea and Joff and how their relationship is blossoming. Joff has been a hands on dad from the beginning. But now that he is her primary carer it has gone from strength to strength. I thought that I would be a bit jealous. But I’m not. It brings me so much joy to see his influences on her.


Meanwhile I am loving my work. It is challenging in many many ways but it is satisfying. I am working with amazing people, learning new things, and enjoying the daily teaching that I am undertaking. There are so many opportunities here for me to grow as a teacher, a doctor, a researcher, and a person. People who say that work doesn’t seem like work when you love it are right. Although this job can push you to the limits, it is also incredibly rewarding.


No comments:

Post a Comment